Tips On Being Prepared For A OWI--Just In Case

Parents always teach their kids not to drink and drive. However, they also know that many people will have "just a few" drinks and get behind the wheel. So even though you are teaching your kids the best way to behave, you also need to teach them what to do if they are pulled over by a policeman or highway patrol officer in Iowa on suspicion of operating while intoxicated.

When You Are Pulled Over

First, always follow the directions of the police officer, just as you would if you were pulled over for any reason. Second, don't engage in conversation with the police officer. Don't tell him you were out with friends or that you came from a party. He will ask if you had any drinks in order to get you to testify against yourself. Don't do it.

By limiting your conversation you limit the chance that the officer can smell alcohol on your breath. This can also limit the officer's ability to say that you had slurred, thick or slow speech.

Remember, the police officer needs to have proof that you have had alcohol. Don't give that to him by admitting anything.

Field Sobriety Test

The office might ask you to complete a field sobriety test. This is often comprised of three tests: horizontal gaze nystagmus test, walk & turn, and one leg stand. These tests are very subjective, but most important you DO NOT have to agree to complete these tests.

The police officer may "order" you to take the test, but this is something that you can say no to in the state of Iowa.

Blood Alcohol Content Test

If the police officer asks you to take a blood alcohol content test, or a Breathalyzer test, you must comply. Iowa laws imply consent to the test simply by the fact that you were driving. If you do not take the test you will automatically have your driver's license revoked for one year.

The police officer must have some sort of reason for administering the test. This is why you NEVER say that you drank alcohol. It is better to take the test so that your attorney can contest it being admitted in to court.

Get an Attorney

If you are arrested for an OWI (operating while intoxicated), then you need to hire a professional attorney, like Kevin R Bryant Attorney at Law. Do this as soon as possible so that your attorney can interview you while the memory is fresh. At this point, your attorney is looking for ways that the police officer did not follow proper protocol in administering tests and arresting you.